link to AMS Glossary of Meteorology
- Classification utilising computers for type assignments (eventually also for type definition)
- Discrete characterisation of the current atmospheric circulation conditions on the nominal scale excluding other paramaters than those describing the circulation state.
- List of successive circulation type names or numbers representing the time series of type occurence.
- Algorithm or concept used for type definition and assignment of objects to those type. Any method (algorithm) may be applied in different variations, e.g. using different distance metrics, numbers of types, spatial domains, temporal configurations or input parameters.
A classification scheme that makes use of the concept of a calculable distance between objects and aims at grouping them according to criteria based upon distance measures.
- A classification scheme using subjectively defined key patterns for automatic assignment.
- Classification without help of computers
- Classification which is fully reproducible.
- 1.) preferred state of the atmospheric circulation
- 2.) attractor (Konrad Lorenz)
- Classification depending on subjective decisions of an expert.
- Simple, discrete characterisation of the current atmospheric conditions on the nominal scale. It may include temperature, precipitation and other climate elements for characterisation.